09 January 2016
Culture Geek started with a one-day conference at the Barbican.
The event brought together the very best of organisations from around the world to show how they’d adapted to the changing cultural landscape. Delegates got hands-on advice, learnt best practice and were given an opportunity to exchange ideas with thought-leaders and international experts.
As today, when Culture Geek started, the cultural landscape was rapidly changing. The internet and the digital revolution were shifted audiences’ expectations. They wanted to be included, be part of the experience, be a partner in the conversation. Theatres, museums, festivals, galleries and other cultural institutions needed to respond to these changes.
The line up of speakers included:
• Andy Levey, Senior Manager of New Media and Analytics, Cirque du Soleil
• Chris Mellor, Creative Producer, Broadway Theatre Barking and Camden Theatres
• Ellen West, Online Content Manager and Jamie Tetlow, Design and Development Manager, Royal Opera House
• Jill Colvin, Head of Marketing, Communications and Digital Strategy, Sydney Festival
• Tijana Tasich, Senior Digital Producer, TATE
• Shamir Allibhai, Digital Strategist and New Media Producer, Doha Film Institute
• Julia Kenyon, Marketing Director, Global Brands, BBC Worldwide
Amy Dale from Museums Galleries Scotland wrote an excellent review of the conference on the MGS Blog.